Thursday 1 December 2011

on the first day...

My true love gave to me - a Wayne's World CD.


I'm constantly surprised when one of my senses awakens such vivid memories. As soon as I began playing it I was transported back to a holiday where my family did a house swap with a family from Dorset. Their house had a loft conversion which I nabbed and lived in for the week. The room was full of CDs and videos which I went through but one I played almost daily was the Wayne's World soundtrack. It was a time in my life when I was exploring what my own tastes were and this certainly hit the spot. I loved that film - much to my mum's dismay - and still do...not sure what that says about me.


Other memories tied into this holiday were a trip to a sea-life centre that had a touch pool, picking up a (comparatively) massive crab was simultaneously horrifying and exciting; my first taste of Nesquick, another moment my mum seemed to regret; and a walk down to Durdle Door.


That place is amazing, captivating and, when my wife and I recently revisited it, apparently still just as awe inspiring. The door itself is massive. One of those 'much bigger in real life' things. The vast ocean that it leads out into suddenly puts a whole other perspective on the scene. And then there's the thoughts of the creator of all of this...

No comments:

Post a Comment